Macular Degeneration (MD) / Age –Related Macular Degeneration (AMD)
MD is the leading cause of vision loss, affecting more people than cataracts and glaucoma combined.
It is considered an incurable eye disease although there is treatment which slows the degeneration and aids eye health.
AMD is caused by deterioration of the central portion of the retina where there is a large concentration of cells, known as the macula. AMD is caused by genetic, hereditary and environmental factors and affects people 50 years and older. There are 2 types, 85% of sufferers have the dry (atrophic) type and only 15% of people suffer from the wet type (exudative type).
Early stage – may not have vision loss but the diagnosis is made when a medium size “black spot” (drusen) is seen near the macular.
Intermediate stage – there is some central vision loss people may experience blurred or wavy vision. Peripheral vision is maintained. The drusen is larger, people see “floating” black spots.
Late stage – vision loss is marked. In advanced stages the person is considered legally blind and vision may be completely lost.
- Regular proper eye examinations are essential for early detection.
- Eye drops which slow the disease.
- Diet to improve general eye health:
- Lutein (10mg per day) is a carotenoid and is found to be present in concentrated amounts in the macular of the eye. Found in dark green, leafy vegetables like spinach and broccoli. Also found in eggs.
- DHA / EPA (500mg per day). An essential fatty acid which is essential for healthy eye function. Found in flat seeds, tuna and salmon.
- Vitamin C (500g per day). Studies have shown that Vit C reduces the risk of cataracts and has a role in delaying the onset of AMD. Found in Avocado, strawberries, citrus fruit and your morning orange juice .
Maybe its time to have an eye exam??? Keep those eyes healthy…….. till next time Sr Hilary.
LESSONS IN LIFE FROM DR SEUSS
Today you are, that is truer than true.
There is no one alive who is youer than you.
You have brains in your head. You have feet
in your shoes. You can steer yourself any
direction you choose. Be who you are and
say what you feel. Behave today as if this is the day you will be remembered.