Follow these instructions to make a delicious milk tart! 🙂
Author: Just Easy Recipes
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Serves: 1-2 Tarts
• 2 cups flour
• 1 egg
• ½ cup sugar
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 125g butter
• pinch of salt
• 4 ½ cups milk
• 2 ½ tbsp cornflour
• 1 cup sugar
• 3 eggs
• pinch of salt
• 2 ½ tbsp flour
• 1 tsp vanilla essence
• a big spoon of butter
1. Cream butter and sugar well together and add the egg, before beating well.
2. Add all other ingredients – making a stiff dough.
3. Press into one or two round cake tins/pie dishes.
4. Bake blind for 15 minutes at 180°C (use wax paper to cover the pastry and place dry beans/rice over the paper to weight the pastry down). Then remove the paper and beans/rice and bake for an additional 5 minutes until light brown.
1. Bring milk to a gentle boil.
2. Beat eggs well and add sugar, flour, cornflour and salt.
3. Mix well.
4. Pour boiling milk into the mixture and stir well.
5. Return to stove and stir for 10-12 minutes on medium heat until the mixture thickens.
6. Add butter and vanilla essence and mix through, then pour into cooked shell.
7. Allow to cool in the fridge (you do not need to cook the tart any further)
8. To decorate, sprinkle with cinnamon.
I used a 26cm diameter pie dish and I still had pastry left over.
Remember to cook the pastry base blind (which means once you’ve put the pastry in the dish, you bake blind by placing a piece of wax paper in the dish, putting beans or rice on top ie. To weight the pastry down) and cooking for 15 minutes on 180C and then another 5 minutes without the wax paper and beans/rice.
Once you’ve combined the egg and the milk mixture together, return to the stove and allow it to thicken on medium heat. It should take approximately 10-12 minutes. Keep stirring…don’t scrape the bottom of the pot though otherwise you may land up with bits of milk that have solidified.
Once it’s nice and thick….pour it into the pastry shell. Allow to cool slightly (ie. Until you can’t see the steam coming off) and then place in the fridge to chill and set. It doesn’t need to cook any further. When you’re ready to serve it, sprinkle cinnamon over the top.